Monday 24 September 2012

Day 4 - rolling and drinking

I just can't keep my eyes open, as it was such a killer of a day miles-wise, but I will post in the morning. Suffice to say it was brilliant, and involved wine tasting!


Here's the rub:
98 miles in the bag! What a day. It started shitty, I felt tired and miserable for most of the 55 miles to lunch. My knee started to twinge...I thought 'uh oh', this dream ride is too good to be true after all...

A burrito for lunch didn't help, tasty carnitas though it was, it was like a brick iny stomach. But I decided to take the afternoon slow and steady, and the sun had come out.

And then Mary, Ed, Jeff and I rounded a corner to be met by the Riverbench Winery! We decided to call in for a tasting, an seven wines in, we were happy as larry again. We'd even bought some wine and convinced a passing tourist couple to ship it to Solvang for us, as they were staying across the street!

The ride from the winery was just mind blowing. Such amazing, fleshy hills, and we climbed a couple to the most spectacular views. And even a punnet of strawberries left at the top of one for us with a Fireflies card in, left by Bryan as we were the back of the pack thanks to our little booze jaunt!



Then into Solvang to a hot shower and a champions dinner of steak and Pinot noir at the Hitching Post. A very 'Sideways' day...fantastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment